Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day Weekend

Jeff and I would normally go out to lunch on the Saturday before Mother's Day, but after eating on the road for the last 2 1/2 weeks, we spent it at home. [I have promises of the Olive Garden for next weekend, though.] Things were very peaceful and productive around the house. Ashley got an invitation to spend the day with her best friend and her family, while the rest of us started on projects in the yard.
Jeff put the boys to "work"...weed-eating around the back yard, while he mowed away. For the boys, it's not really "work" since they beg to help. It pays to have two machines too and two able-bodied boys.
Braden went around the floor beds, while Cameron headed for the trees and rocks. Braden went strong until his leg started hurting him.
From the deck, I caught Cameron working the swells of grass around the trees. After an hour, Jeff realized that two weed-eaters wasn't up to the job at hand.
So he and Cameron headed to Lowe's to get a bigger field mower. I told him that we should just fence the back off and put in a couple of goats. He might consider that if it takes another 4 hours to mow the backyard next weekend.
A fenced backyard was on Molly's mind too. She watched the whole process from the bedroom window.
As our Mother's Day tradition for the last few years, Jeff bought me all the flowers I wanted for the planter boxes and pots for the front porch. He and Jessica even planted them for me on Sunday morning. They are gorgeous and smell wonderful.
I got out of bed too early for my love to bring me breakfast there :) The kids had their homemade gifts from school to give me. Braden made an water color that was laminated. Jessica and Cameron made bath salts and hanging crafts.
Nathan and Cameron picked out some fun gifts for Mother's day while we were staying at the Ronald McDonald house. They thought they were really clever for getting them home without me knowing what they were...courtesy of a black garbage bag. The picture frame, teddy bear, cards, and perfume were all intact.
Ashley performed in a stake youth music program Sunday evening, called "I Believe". It was a presentation of orchestra, band, and choir students performing an ensemble of songs and narrations that exemplified their values and beliefs. It was wonderful. She played the viola and sang in the choir. She's very talented and it was awesome to see 50-60 other kids that were just as gifted.
It was a wonderful weekend...and indeed, I am one lucky mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment