
We have a few little addictions that seem to be getting bigger and bigger...literally. For Christmas, Jeff bought me a family favorite, but in the GIANT version. There's nothing cooler than a 36 inch Scrabble board. And--it swivels and makes it so much easier to see the "whole picture".
Last Sunday, the family spent the whole day with Nathan at Shriners'. It's hard enough keeping one child amused, let alone five at a time, but they were very accommodating in the recreation room. Jeff actually played me a game of Scrabble and it seemed so weird using the little tiles after our big ones! I felt like I was all thumbs with the little things.
We have finally reached the point where all of the kids are fluent enough in how to read and write to make fair competition when I'm in a bind for a player. Ashley can go neck in neck with me, but even Jessica can hold her own these days. But I only have one gripe about playing word games with novices.
Can't think of a good word on your own? No worries...I-Pods, dictionary apps, and cell phones have taken it to a whole new level. And I DO NOT like it. I'm all for playing ala naturelle. We are quickly approaching a need to add a new rule: You can only use the tool in your head! Brain application is the only fair way to play.

Besides the cool game, I got a very complicated Android phone for Christmas, from Jeff. Now I can check Facebook, e-mail, texts, and the weather at the touch of a finger...and, OH--play a few Words with Friends. See what he has done to me?! Now the man who wouldn't play Scrabble with me at home, it constantly inviting me to play on my phone. And he's proving to be a formidable opponent. I think it gives him wild delight when he toasts me at my favorite games.
I just remind him that it's entirely circumstantial and in no way indicates the brilliance of the players--usually. Strategy around the board is key when desiring victory. The first game I played with him, he forfeited with 30 tiles still in the line-up. I told him I wasn't going to play with him if he did that again! I can't stand poor-sports and quitters! The light must have gone on, because we're playing all the time and I have to really work to keep an edge on him. Hmm. He actually likes the game he's been refusing to play with me for years. Make it digital and "Hello" friend--you want to play Words with me?











.jpg)
















No comments:
Post a Comment