I'm sure that this assignment was designed to make an impression on the child...a classic journey into who they are and where they come from. But in reality, it's to make more of an indelible imprint on the parent--a reminder that educating a child about personal values and heritage is best taught at HOME. And it is nice to share personal beliefs and history in an open and accepting manner.
So what was the requirement? "We would like the students to design a totem pole that means something to you and your family. Choose pictures or symbols to represent your immediate family, your extended family, and yourself. Recall important experiences that people in your family have had and decide which figure will represent each event. The students should put together a totem pole with symbols, pictures or drawings that best represent their family's lifestyles, traditions, and beliefs. The totem pole should show important facts about your family. Keep in mind such things as your ancestors, passions, outside interests, sports, and the various roles you play in your school and community."Sounds like fun, huh? I've been around this block before. I had to make two of these lovelies last year, albeit, with more notice than the current one. Yep. The 4th grader gets the assignment, but in reality, it's Mom that gets the assignment. One of which, had to scramble to come up with a foray of things needed, as to not embarrass herself. And truthfully, what kind of boy could pull this project off with the suggested materials to build it with: cereal boxes, shoe boxes, soup cans, cardboard tubes, round canisters, etc...without some kind of guidance? The key word that is missing from the suggested materials list is: MOTHER. [Braden was nicely told by his father when he was approached for help on this...that these kind of assignments require a mother. Nice.]
And like many of the other projects that actually require time and work, I was reminded that it was due tomorrow. As it's supposed to be an "enriching experience" that you share with your child, my disclaimer at 8pm on Sunday night is: "you get what you get, and you don't throw a fit!"
What kind of things did we include in the story and history of Braden?
*I love my Family. I have a big family with 2 sisters, 2 brothers and my mom and dad. We have many traditions that we celebrate. My favorite is Christmas. We also spend lots of time together. We have dinner as a family every night, work on projects around the house, play games together, and watch our favorite shows.
*I am a happy person. I like to have fun and tease my brothers and sisters. I like to blow off water bottle rockets in the summer. Going to summer camp and hanging out with my friends are some of my favorite things to do. I also like to build things out of Legos.
*I'm a Cub Scout and their motto is: Do Your Best. Doing your best is one of the most important things for the Cub Scout to learn. Boys often become so interested in winning that they fail to see the importance of doing the best they can at everything. One boy's best might be quite different from another boy's best. Cub Scouting teaches boys that no one can find fault with them if they always do their best.
*My Family's Personal Beliefs. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul--We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."
*I like to play Games. Some of my favorite games are for the XBOX. But I also like to play Monopoly and Scrabble with my family. In the future...I want to design video games as my job!
*I LOVE my puppy. Her name is Molly and she is a Boston Terrier.
*I have Legg-Calves-Perthes. I have a disease that causes the bone in my hip to collapse and die. But I am very fortunate that my family lives in Spokane and that I can get medical treatment at Shriner's Hospital for Children.











.jpg)
















No comments:
Post a Comment