Jeff and I had a very solemn moment today when we went to pick up the rest of our personal belongings from the suburban, being held at a tow company in Clayton. It was going to be released to our insurance company this afternoon and we would probably never see it again--so school books, back packs, scriptures, clothes, and personal details needed to be removed as soon as possible. But what we saw when we got there shocked us a little bit more then expected. I don't know if it was because it was sitting up on all for wheels again or if it was the time of day...but it looked so much worse then it did on Friday night.
We just put $1000 in new tires on it a couple of weeks ago. We were thinking, at the very least, that they would be salvageable. I don't think so anymore.
Because we had the sick realization that only the passenger side tires weren't split in half or ruined. The wheels/rims looked cracked, the tires blown out, and the truck was completely lopsided. Broken glass littered the interior and one of the running boards was inside the truck. The driver's side looked like it had been through a war as well. I didn't realize the driver's door had been dented in as well. That explains not being able to open the window and why I have a bulls' eye bruise and burn around my left elbow.
Jeff told me to wait in the car while he got everything out. But we both walked around for several minutes and couldn't help but tear up when we looked at the interior ceiling over the passenger seat--where it was pushed down several inches. There was dried blood on the seat and it made us realize we had yet another miracle in this truck--we are very lucky to have Cameron, alive and well, today.
After we went to pick up the rental car, somebody asked me how my weekend was. I told her we'd been in an accident that totaled our family vehicle. She looked stunned for a second, and then said- "Then you're very lucky to be here today!" I almost lost it. Lucky doesn't even begin to describe why I can sit and write about the wild weekend we lived through. Blessed. Fortunate. Protected. Watched over. Miraculous. I don't know--but there's better descriptions for what happened than just plain luck. When you see the marks that are still on the highway, the scrapes across the field, and the crunched truck--you have to know that there's no luck in this mess. It's just amazing, with no words to describe the feelings of gratitude and appreciation for the unseen powers that be, for our protection, our safety, and our very lives.











.jpg)
















No comments:
Post a Comment