I set out all the toothbrushes, dental floss, combs, hand towels, toothpaste, and deodorant in boxes. I also had body wash and medicated lip balms for some kits. The gallon-size Ziploc bags were stationed at one side of the table and we created an assembly line.
After multiple attempts to not have a pile-up in the middle of assembly, the kids actually came up with a new strategy. Ashley loaded the bags with the towels, while Nathan, Braden and Jessica stuffed the guts in. Cameron sealed the bags and loaded them into boxes. Some of the kits are made specifically for women--with additional products for feminine care and beauty aids added later; while some of the kits are for men, with razors and soaps just for guys. Men are simple creatures and don't require as many frills in their kits!
Our family has assembled hundreds (actually closer to twenty five hundred+) hygiene kits in the past. But it has only been within the last 3-4 years that the kids have been helping put them together. With coupons and sales, I've been able to add floss and deodorant to our kits. A lot of other items (feminine needs) I'm keeping separate because the bulkiness prevents it from going in the bag. But it is all for a good cause and it keeps me inspired to want to do more, be more, and live more fully, so that I can do all that I am able to make a difference somewhere. My kids don't have a choice in participating in this activity. I'm their mom and this is what I want to do--at least once, if not twice a year. They really don't squabble too much about what we are doing. They ask lots of questions about the people that are going to receive them and how they came to be there. I don't have all the answers to those questions...I just know that it matters and that we can make a difference.
They've made the project go together a little faster for us. Who knows--maybe they will find their passion doing something similar in their lives, and others will continually be blessed wherever they are. I'm thankful that my husband allows me to keep up this "hobby" and that he knows we are blessed because of it, as well. I get very moved when I see stories like Mariama Kallon's. I remember the first kits I put together back in 2000. I became obsessed with numbers. I felt driven to do more, make more, and give more. I didn't know about her then. But as I heard her story in person and read it in articles like this one--I know why and how these simple things can alter a person's life. So as long as I can shop and string two words together...I'm going to making more hygiene kits! http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/humanitarian-services/news-features/hygiene-kit-helped-african.html











.jpg)
















No comments:
Post a Comment