Saturday, September 3, 2011

Silverwood--2011







Here's to making summer memories.


It's done...the annual trip to Silverwood. We've been taking the kids to this particular venue,the Friday before Labor day, for the last three years. During the school year, they have the opportunity to read 10 hours in a reading program to earn a free admission ticket to the amusement park. And seeing that the tickets are $34.99 and up for anyone over 7 years-old--the reading program at school is the only reason that we have been so consistent in going year after year.


We started out at the bumper cars. Jessica was thrilled that she was finally tall enough, but just barely, and partly because we poofed her hair up a bit on top, to ride some of the more action-packed rides this year.




She took on the three brothers with a vengeance on with her bumper car. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner..." If you know what I mean.

Nathan had major surgery on his hips since our last go-around at Silverwood, but he was looking forward to a lot of the rides, even though he stayed away from the roller coasters this time.


While the kids were taking advantage of the Bumper Boats (tanks that shoot balls and water), Jessica went over to the rock-wall to climb. No height restrictions here!


Unlike the YMCA--it was $5 for two runs up the tower. There was no guide at the bottom to coach her climb, but she got half way up the tower before she fell away. Not too bad for an eager 6 year-old. It sure beat the whining about not being tall enough to go in the tanks!


Ashley brought her friend, Keely, with us this year. Thanks to technological leashes (cell phones), they ran around the park searching for more extreme thrills, while we toured the park as a family. Because of Jessica's disappointment in losing her ride-buddy, Dad had to fill-in as her partner.


Awww...Tender. As in nauseous, tender tummies. Jeff and I both peaked at the age of thrill fulfillment, a year or two ago. Thrill rides do nothing for us anymore. We have assumed the roll of "supervisory thrill consultants" as we watch the kids enter ride carriages that are bound to make our heads want to pop off and our stomachs hurl.


One ride that we actually still love is the Thunder Canyon ride...shown here with too vacant seats. Gosh. Six kids without their parents? And I just said that we loved it. Ok. So why aren't we on it? Shhh...don't say this too loud or in mixed company. But Daddy didn't want to get his pants wet...not those pants...the other ones. And Mom? Someone needed to take the pictures, right?


With no outside food or beverage allowed in the park (and no more strollers to smuggle it in with)--what are the choices? Frozen pizza--specially priced at the equivalent of 3 hours of hard manual labor, $20 hot dogs (maybe slightly exaggerated), funnel cakes, kettle corn, one-scoop ice-cream cones for the price of a gallon or two...OR a value-priced BBQ buffet of fried chicken, Beef Ribs, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, cornbread, salad, green beans, etc...for only $17 per person with Ribs/$12 per person without Ribs. And of course, all the boys are jumping and screaming "With RIBS, With RIBS!!" to the cashier. I had to reign them in...and thank goodness I did. [The person ahead of us in line was getting a refund for something that had to do with beef.] See! It pays to be a penny-pincher.


So-------one Ben Franklin later...and after the choice experience of eating during a arm-flapping war with bees and flies, we were off to the Boulder Beach Water Park. The girls had just started to dry out from Thunder Canyon when it was time to get wet all over again. But it had to be calmer on the stomach then more rides. I was just hoping that whatever we ate wasn't going to be grounds for food poisoning. I mean I'd hate to have to rename some of the rides we liked to "Tilt-a HURL" (Tilt-a-Twirl), "Spray-Rocket" (Spyrocket), or "Super ThrowUP" (Super RoundUp).


I had planned on doing the water slides with the kids when we started our day. But the temperatures didn't get out of the low 70s. I know! Fluke of a weather day, I tell 'ya! I had no interest in freezing afterwards or during, since I was somewhat chilled before. So I opted for a nap in the corner of the kiddy pool...on a most-uncomfortable lounger. But I was too tired to care about those kinds of things, in my semi-nauseous and exhausted state. So I covered myself with 5 striped beach towels, as semi-naked people ran around the fully-clothed, semi-fat lady--sleeping in the corner. I slept to lullabies sung by the Beach Boys, Buddy Holly, Frankie Avalon--and the relaxing sounds of rushing waters. Before I knew it--it was time for Silverwood, Part 2...in the dark.


Nathan wasn't walking too well by the end of the day. "It does NOT hurt...I just can't feel it." Yep. That's a kid that doesn't want to go home early. We sent the others off in pairs to coaster alley as we slowed the pace for Jessica and Nathan.




Jeff supervised the flying elephants, flying helicopters, flying cups, and no doubt--the flying airplanes, as Nathan and I figured out how make the flash work on the camera and watched crazy people take the Panic Plunge.

I have one tiny observation about this park. There is very little lighting along the pathways between the rides. In fact, it is quite dark. There are no lights on the wooden roller coasters either. Maybe that's intended for the ultimate thrill...to go on a roller coaster as a "blind" participant. Ashley, Keely, Cameron and Braden went on the Timber of Terror several times in the dark. Maybe it was because the lines weren't very long. Or maybe because they were adrenalin junkies looking for another hit. Whatever it was...they started running from ride to ride to get in an many as they could before the crazy wagon headed for home.
For what it was worth--all of them had a great time.


Although Jessica caused a rumble at the end because she "chickened" out instead of getting on a roller coaster ride with her sister. Nothing like a little wailing and gnashing of teeth to cause a teenager to become incensed. So Dad stepped in and smoothed it over with the light-up toy and an ice-cream, as big sister hit the deck for more thrills with her friend.


Give her a year or two, and about 6 inches--and I'm sure that Jessica will join the thrill-seekers in the family, because she loves the coasters in daylight....just not so much in the dark yet. And give her about 30 years...and she'll be sitting every ride out with mom and dad--reminiscing about the days she used to run from coaster to coaster.


Yep. Another another year of Silverwood in the books. It was fun. It was close to home. It was NOT cheap...but it didn't break the bank and the kids loved it. That makes it worth it. Till next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment