Sunday, September 11, 2011

Monopoloy

The Monopoly game I bought just a couple of days ago with one of those fabulous coupons printed from home--broke out of the clear packaging today and found it's way to the kitchen table after lunch.

Everyone clammered to see what this old-fashioned game was about. I had a break from the usual mundane and sat down to look at the Sunday paper. I hollered out to the kitchen for some liquid refreshment and help on ebay. I didn't get much response, so I had to leave the office to see what was the hold-up.


I saw my husband attempting to teach four of our kids how to play Monopoly. For some reason--he wanted to introduce the kids to an old favorite. And as I write, they are progressing into hour number 3. And if I remember correctly, my own playings as a kid--I have a good couple of hours of peace left. Kudos for the time spent with Dad!






Jeff was trying to teach the boys to strategize and accumulate properties at reasonable prices. I heard a lot of conversations about good choices and using financial smarts going on out there.




I think that it's cool that the kids partnered up in teams against their dad--the impartial player and bank. Ashley is doing quite well. She's catching on to Dad's tips and suggestions fast. She's playing with Jessica (who is the most positive participant and personal cheerleader you could hope for). They are building up quite a portfolio with lots of paper assets.




There's always one in a group...right? I had one that wasn't too interested in the fierce competition going on at the table. So he planted himself on the couch with some tunes and one of the Diary of the Wimpy Kid books. [I'm a mean mom and we don't let the kids have screen time on Sunday afternoons--till after dinner. It's the only time during the week that I'm not competing for the kids' attention from about 6 different visual distractions in one room. Plus-- I can't stand the constant noise from the silly TV shows. Sunday should definitely be a "day of rest"--and especially a chance to unlug from the TV, computer, I-pod, laptops, XBOX, DS, and cell phones.... At least, for the kids, right?



So what was I hollering about? There was an AmAzInG coupon in today's paper and I needed Jeff's help securing some of those blessed little savers for my power shopping excursion later this week! You'll have to go to my other blog and see what those deals are. http://www.savingspokane.blogspot.com/.



I think that it's really funny that Nathan finished his book before the game was finished. I just heard him whining to his father: "I did NOT know it was going to take SO LONG, Dad!" Yes, my son. That is how Monopoly is played. NOT a quick game for the time-challenged or easily distracted. And it's definitely more fun to play then it is to watch. So choose to participate next time--and you will be taught by the best and won't have to wait around for everything else.



Perk for the Unplug: there was no fighting over who didn't want to watch what shows on TV. No laments of utter boredom. No complaints that there wasn't anything to do. No agonizing that they didn't get to do what they wanted to do--whatever that was. No secret eaters holing up in the pantry or shoving mysterious wrappers into the couch cushions. It wasn't totally quiet or humdrum. But it was great family time. Awwwwwwww......yes. It was a perfect way to spend our Sunday together.

No comments:

Post a Comment