Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas, Christmas, and more Christmas

We had the longest Christmas EVER this year! But it all started with Christmas at our house on Christmas Eve morning by our "Jesus" tree and moved westward.

[A couple of years ago I couldn't find the box of ornaments for the tree and got a little desperate (or out of a reasonable amount of time), so I went and bought sets of ornaments to tide the situation over with. I went with a "Jesus" theme-putting pictures of Him in little gold frames, adding gold bulbs that had the Nativity scene in gold glitter on them were perfectly accented with word ornaments of "JOY". Gold bows and other red and gold bulbs completed the tree. I loved it. Jeff added his own touch last year by buying ropes of red and gold lights to add more color to the tree which already had the sparkling white lights.]

This year the kids announced that they found the box of previous ornaments--oh well. Maybe another year. I'm still in love with my Jesus-themed tree because it's so desperately hard to focus on the true meaning of Christmas in our materialistic world. The tree became my focus of trying to keep the true meaning of Christmas somewhat real in the hearts of my children. All Christmas trees are beautiful and unique. We celebrated around three different ones this year....ours in Spokane, my brother James and his wife, Jen's tree in Maple Valley, and my parents in Tumwater. All were vastly different from each other, as you can note from the pictures below. But each represented the same joy and holiday cheer in their own ways.


Our tree had all the gifts from Santa and Grandma/Grandpa Eibert. Jeff and I keep saying that we are going to "scale back" every year--I think we did pretty good this year and limited the number of gifts to four per child. I never thought that would be a problem, but when I go shopping--everything seems like such a great deal and so "perfect" for someone. But I reigned it in and stuck to the plan. I like simplicity, practicality, whimsical, and fun. And so--that is what they got--one of each.


The mini-tree at Grandma's had the much-expected Christmas jammies. The 14" tree at James' had the gifts for cousins and extended family.


Now for some of the Gifts:
Braden loves to build things. He got an Erector set, similar to the one that Nathan got last year for Christmas. I may have made a mistake....because it's Nathan that loves this more than Brady. It just goes to show you that you can't always win in the best planned department.

Cameron is infatuated with automobiles. He's constantly scanning the internet, gleaning information about different motors and cars. I'm still laughing about the tidbits he found out about Volkswagen Rabbits. His dad thought that he would love an actual model of a V-8 engine, one where he could see how all the belts and fans work as the motor operates. We were dead-on!! He loved it.
Jeff's grandma is 87 years old and lives in St Louis, Missouri with her daughter Gale. They've been incredibly generous and thoughtful with my kids over the years. They've never forgotten a birthday, Easter or Christmas. This year we put the money they sent for the kids in each of their stockings. If there was ever a "money shot"--this is it!!
Jeff's mom is a master with yarn and a hook! She crocheted each of the kids a hat and scarf. Grandma and Grandpa Eibert included Toys R Us gift cards as well. All of the kids LOVED their own personal wears and hooped with delight that they got to have a trip to their favorite toy store. Ashley was particularly delighted that her gift included a card to Claires' in the mall. Earrings and "foo foo" jewelry is SO her!! Grandma and Grandpa are rolling with the times...Ashley is a teenager now and was totally pleased with the difference in her gift!

Nathan and Jessica immediately modeled their sets. Nathan loves that his is in camo colors. He was doing some hand gestures. Jessica is darling in anything--but pink was the right choice of color for her!

What do you get the kid that doesn't play with toys, already has or read all the new book releases, and is still on the fence with any hobbies or interests? Clothes. That's right. Ashley got a box of clothes that was pretty stellar. Hehehe. That's because I bought them. She got 4 new church outfits, some T-shirts, and new PE clothes for school. I'm such a bargain shopper that her one case of clothes cost about the same as the big toys for each of the other kids. Cha-ching!!

Wii....XBOX...games, games, games. It's amazing what thrills little hearts. For Braden, Lego Star Wars was just as exciting as a pair of Eskimo boots for little Jessica. Oh the differences in girls and boys.
After a quick clean-up and breakfast, we packed the van and headed out for a 300-mile drive across the state to Maple Valley, where we would meet up with the Isaacks clan for Christmas dinner and a gift exchange among the cousins. It was a small gathering by our family standards, since almost half the family was missing. But we still had 17--with eight of them 13 and under.
My mom and dad--Grandma and Grandpa Isaacks

Jeff and Jolinda

The Joes............Jr and Sr. Joseph's wife, Fumi and baby, Rika were home sick. But Joseph has obviously mellowed into parenthood nicely, because his daughter, Nayu (2 1/2 yrs old) convinced him to wear her princess crown. [Let me tell you--no one saw that coming 10, or even 5 years ago!]

John, Megan and Jordyn (2 1/2 yrs old). Jordyn's going to have a baby sister in April.


Jen, James and Adrienne (almost 4 yrs old).
My handsome boys--Nathan and Braden with dad.

Cameron should be called the token pale "Camerai" in this picture. His Aunt Fumi is from Japan and got each of the kids treats and toys from Japan. Cameron was very pleased with the samurai hat and candies.
There was no end to the fun and games. Braden decided that if he didn't like cucumbers, they shouldn't be wasted....so he gave himself a quick spa treatment between courses.
Grandpa was hanging out by the fudge and fruitcake...with a birds eye view of all the funnies going on.

Grandma and Joseph


One of Ashley's Christmas gifts can't exactly be seen....but if you know her well, you'll note that something is missing. Her glasses. She has taken to contacts quickly and now we get to see her beautiful green eyes better as well. Maybe after the braces come off next Fall, we'll be seeing her beautiful smile as well.
Nathan--looking good

Cameron and dad

Jessica has a way of always being so cute. She was thrilled to play with all three of her girl cousins. They were all princesses playing Ring-Around the Rosy together, and had a great time. Peals of laughter and squeals were heard throughout the house.
Girl Cousins---Jessica Eibert, Adrienne Isaacks, and Jordyn Isaacks

Jessica (5), Ashley (13), and Adrienne (4)--it's fun to see the family resemblances and similar coloring from different sets of parents
Nayu Isaacks--she took the longest to open all of her gifts, but was very pleased with all the new toys and books.

Jordyn, was the hardest to get to smile for pictures...and this was the best I got. She's a live-wire and caters to no one's pleas to smile unless she wants to. That probably best explains their latest family picture ;)

I know that most people wouldn't post pictures of what they had for dinner. But I'm not most people and what we had for dinner was really impressive this year because it wasn't Thanksgiving Part 2. We had the most amazing roast beef, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetables, salad, and tons of festive goodies. Delicious. (Martha, Emeril, Paula, and Sandra Lee would have been proud).
My mom makes the only edible fruit cake I like. You won't gag on it because it's moist and tasty. You wouldn't call it "traditional" though, because it has some changes in the recipe that have greatly improved it's longevity--especially in the annuls of the Eibert recipe collection. The secret...gum drops instead of that nasty candied fruit.

And what Christmas is complete without Fudge? It's a family tradition. My favorite always has been Rocky Road, loaded with tons of marshmallows and nuts. I know that I've aged to the right degree of "motherhood", because I now make Fudge at Christmastime as well. I use my mother's candy as the standard of what it should look and taste like. I think I may now be a close runner-up to hers, but it has taken hundreds of pounds of sugar and butter to get the knack of it.




MARSHMALLOW FANTASY FUDGE
4 cups sugar
1 cube butter
1 canned Evaporated Milk
Bring to a rolling boil. Turn the heat down and continually stir with a wooden spoon for 10-12 minutes. Check with a candy thermometer; pull it off the heat when it reaches 238-240 degrees. Add 1-2 tsp vanilla and 1 bag of milk chocolate chips. Pour in a little more than half of a 16oz bag of miniature marshmallows. Stir till everything is smooth and melted. As it starts to cool down, it'll get really hard to turn. Add the rest of the marshmallows and 1 cup of finely crushed walnuts. Pour into a greased, glass baking dish. Sprinkle with more finely chopped walnuts. Let cool. Cut into squares when it is room temperature. Hmm. Delicious. This year, I followed the recipe and used white chocolate chips and added dried cranberries and pecans. I loved that combination. The chocolate and peanut butter version wasn't too bad--but I am going to perfect it so that it was a layer of peanut butter fudge on top of the creamy milk chocolate instead of mixed together. But alas, that is for another year!!
We have had a very busy Christmas this year. I just hope that in all the busy-ness, we can carry the spirit of Christmas throughout the year. To love more and give more of ourselves would make our world a better place and would truly count our lives more worthy as a gift to Him, whose birthday and life we celebrate this time of year. So as the year draws to an end...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!















1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Jolinda!

    I enjoyed your Christmas photos and reading about your traditions. I like your Jesus tree - it is beautiful and a great idea. I also like photos of what was eaten for dinner or special events. It helps me remember from year to year! Food is a big part of the holidays! :)

    Have a great 2011! So glad we can stay connected through blogs!

    Judi :)

    ReplyDelete