Ashley had a busy day on her birthday! She headed out the door around 6:30am for seminary. I was going to surprise her with donuts and had all the kids ready to go before 7:15, when we discovered we had a dead battery in the truck. No good for time crunchers. Jeff got home just in time for me to get the other kids to school on time.
I had all of her gifts purchased and wrapped ahead of time since I knew our hospital stay with Braden was 5-7 days...overlapping onto Ashley's day. But we had good news and Braden made it home in the afternoon. Ashley had a softball game after school, which gave us some time to construct the "bouquet of flowers" cake from cupcakes and skewers. Ashley had written on my calendar that she wanted a surprise party. Where's the surprise in that? So Jeff went to pick her up after the game and we all hid in the kitchen. As she rounded the corner--we all yelled Surprise! I'm sure that's not what she had in mind...but it was the best we could do today.
Amongst the list of things that she wanted, she wanted accessories. The kid likes jewelry. So I came across a great find on loads of bracelets and cool necklaces. I filled a box with a dozen pieces, or so, and game them to her with a board that has pegs she can hang it all on. Ashley is a typical teenager. But I'm guessing from the unfeigned smile that she was pleased with the accessory jackpot...as it also came with new jammies, some shade shirts, a couple of journals, and great cards from her grandparents, aunt Gale and great-grandma!
Jessica was all over her with big birthday hugs and kisses. After dinner, getting cleaned-up, and the homework done...it was time for the season premier of NCIS--her favorite show. I think, all in all, she had a great day--minus the donut debacle ;)
**I should also note that even with the typical moodiness and growing pains of the teenage years, she really is a great kid. She just finished her Personal Progress book and earned her Young Women's medallion (more to come on that later), she aced the state exams and received "Advanced" scores in all four categories--including the proficiency test for Algebra I (a high school math class that she took in middle school), and is thriving in a fully-packed advanced placement class schedule at school with a zero hour seminary class. She's also taking piano lessons and playing JV softball. And when schedule permits, she's a favorite babysitter for a family that will willingly drive 25 miles each way to collect her so she can watch their kids when they go out. That's the kind of kid she is. Only fifteen and so awesome in so many ways. We love you, Ashley :)











.jpg)
















No comments:
Post a Comment