Sunday, August 7, 2011

Shish--------Kabob!

I was on facebook earlier this week and saw a posting from my sister-in-law about what they were going to have for dinner. Shish Kabobs...and they looked pretty tasty. Well...I've never made those before, but it didn't look too hard. So with a red onion, assorted tri-color peppers, and a pack of petite sirloin steaks--I started assembling kabobs.


The in-laws were here this weekend visiting and I bought a couple large packages of petite sirloin for the BBQ. They ended up leaving at lunchtime today--thus, missing the "red meat" treat that the kids are constantly asking for. When I started assembling the kabobs, I realized that I was going to only need one of the packages--I got a little excited. Preparing this kind of meal provided an opportunity to add vegetables the kids wouldn't normally eat alone in a meal, and also, cut the portion of meat for each person in half. What a nice little bonus for those who know no boundaries in portion sizes! I'm going to get 2-3 meals out of 9 juicy steaks, steak of only one--yeah!!

I LOVE the kabobs from the Griller menu at Outback Steakhouse. They have mushrooms, zucchini, pineapple, onions, and peppers in the line-up. It also has a delicious hint of pineapple juice in the seasoning. Of course, I remembered all of this after they went on the grill. Tonight I seasoned the kabobs with garlic salt and Montreal steak seasoning. This dinner turned out yummy but I want to try it again with a few variations. I'm making a prediction here--that this meal plan could possibly become a summer staple in the Eibert family.

For the kabob fest tonight, I added jacket red potatoes that were smothered in butter, parsley, and garlic; with a side of steamed broccoli. I had to convince the kids to use their forks since they thought the meal was supposed to intentionally be eaten without forks. I guess when you've never had a shish kabob--you just don't know how you should eat them. Sheesh!

I'm already having visions of a variety of options with chicken, tomatoes, zucchini, Italian seasonings, and some yummy citrus glazes. Ah...can you just imagine how good a chicken and pineapple kabob would be if it were marinated with Teriyaki sauce? What about serving them with couscous or quinoa or rice pilaf? I'll have to think on this again, and we are bound to have a few more kabob dinners in the remaining summer days.

1 comment:

  1. Tomatoes don't turn out well, as soon as they heat up, they fall off. We usually marinade our meat, whether it is steak or chicken, over night.

    ReplyDelete