Sunday, June 19, 2011

Something's Different About this Girl...

Take a close look at that smile!



Jessica's last day of Kindergarten was Thursday, June 16th. It was celebrated with a "Snack-nic" the last 45 minutes of class time.



The kids got to enjoy a few minutes on the playground before the rain pushed everyone indoors.

The kindergartners were over-flowed to portables outside the school this year. As a fun transition into the big building, the teachers had all the parents form a human chain between the building and their classroom. We created a canopy with our arms and all 40 of the am kindergartners ran through the tunnel to meet the principal, who was handing out red tickets for entrance into first grade, at the end of the run.


Some of the kids just kept running. They had their backpacks and were done! It was time to go home and have lunch. I found Jessica with her best friends near the front of the school. It was a wonderful year for her and she was very lucky to sit with (but not beside) Katherine at her table for the better part of the school year. Jessica said that this was perfect, but "K" is by "J"--so it only makes sense, duh!



Later that same day...take a look at that smile now....



We heard quite a rumble coming from the family room at bedtime. After the commotion was settled down, we saw something that was definitely different!


There was a hole in Jessica's smile. And there was something in her hand....




The wobbly tooth that we talked about at lunch earlier in the day, now lay in her hand! She was very excited, needless to say. Somewhere in childhood, you learn about all the ways that you can earn money, and teeth equate to a fortune earned all at once. So before the blood was wiped from the lip, she was already talking about how much money she was going to get.


And who could disappoint this cutie? (Well I have a confession to make. The tooth fairy did indeed come and pay Jessica a $1 for her tooth--it just wasn't the tooth fairy that has paid out on the other teeth). Squeals of delight were heard the next morning, with plans of what was going to be purchased with the money...but the maternal tooth fairy was not out any money for the efforts!


The tooth fairy's oldest daughter filled in for the night of youthful expectations. What a nice sister!! Oh, what fun it is to relish the stages of childhood.


I know that we shouldn't get used to toothy baby grins, but her look has changed so much in just a matter of days, that I get kind of sad that this is just the beginning of the transformation that is coming. I know that they all have to grow up eventually--but I didn't realize how much I love where they are. I'm starting to realize what people mean when they say that they wish they could keep them little for just a little while longer. Just a little longer will be gone before you know it...and those teeth (that aren't even there yet...) will have pieces of metal on them and they won't give you that smile of pure joy without thought. I've loved every stage of babyhood and young childhood...but I think I've just realized that there are so many more stages ahead....
















No comments:

Post a Comment